The other day I went to the health food store, looking for some vegan and gluten free chapatis, with no crap in them, to go with the curry I was making.
I found them, looked down at the price, my immediate reaction included some pretty choice words.
No way, there had to be a better, cheaper way. Turns out there totally is, making them yourself.
I’ll be honest I really thought I was going to mess this up, but it’s legit so simple and they were incredible tasty. I’m sure you could use these to wrap up some amazing veggies, or bean burritos, but we LOVED them with the squash and chickpea curry I made. Any leftover chapatis we had the next day with raita and chutney or this chutney too- hello best snack ever!
What you need
3/4 cup of quinoa flour (or any gluten free flour)
1/4 cup of water
What to do
1. Knead together until you form a soft dough that stays together in a ball.
2. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
3. Take the dough out and cut into 4-6 pieces
4. On a floured surface roll out chapatis as thin as you can, about 1/8″ – 1/4″ thick
5. Cook in a hot dry pan, when the chapatis start to bubble flip them over, they should start to brown
6. Wrap chapatis in a damp cloth and leave in a warm oven until all chapatis are cooked. Serve.
What did you think about this recipe? Have you done anything similar with other types of flours?? Let us know in the comments below.