This is a fun one! We’ve been talking about keeping it simple all month. So far, I have really slowed down and stopping to smell the roses.
I did something awesome!! I surveyed a group of people in long distance relationships so I could share the results with you! Fun right?
I asked 5 simple questions, and got a bunch of different responses, this is a simple way to check in with your long distance relationship!
#1 What is the best thing about a long distance relationship?
– The best thing about being in a long distance relationship is the absolute trust which has to be reached in order to feel real, comfortable and happy.
– The best thing about long distance is that it’s healthy to have time apart and you get that much more excited every time you get to see your partner. Also you can fart in your sleep and nobody is the wiser
– When you have not seen someone in a year or so, and there was no cyber communication only letters. The time you spent talking, walking and catching up was a real heart-felt moment! Seeing the persons face while they describe their year is truly beautiful!
– best thing id have to say is unwind time while you are away you’re able to see and show yourself you really care about the person not just because they are a constantly reminding you that you should in your life but on your own away from them you still care.
– I am not sure there is a best thing about ld relationships. They suck and leave you constantly wanting more and feeling lacking in one way or another. If I had to pick one thing i guess it would be that you know that there is always someone “there”
– The best thing about a long distance relationship is when you do see each other you don’t take it for granted
#2 What is the most common method of communication used? (ie. phone calls, skype/facetime, etc)
– the most common method of communication used is text. The ability to sustain a conversation over breaks at work and in life is a beautiful thing. Skype/FaceTime fill in when we need to see each other smile.
– Most common methods are phone and FaceTime
– text and phone calls….skipe is going to be a new-found thing, but I want to save those conversations for face to face as I do not have anyone at war!
– phone is most common – or facetime when we remember that amazing option
– never more than a phone call away and most often talk more than if you lived closer and know and care about what’s going on in each other’s lives
#3 How often do you see each other?
– whenever humanly possibly while still sustaining our careers. Overall, twice a month for between two days to over a week at a time. We have resigned ourselves to making every effort to be together when we can, that commitment is just as important as the commitment of trust.
– Marks shifts are from 25-43 days gone (he will have to take one or two days off while out there for safety/legal reasons) and then 7-11 days off
– not often enough – every couple of years – which in some relationships it would be fine, but when it was someone who you previously lived with or had the option to see every day it makes it hard.
– No matter how little of often you see each other it is never enough, but when you do meet it’s a joyous occasion
#4 What is the most creative way you’ve shown someone you care?
– My partner has a strong but distant connect with his father. I was visiting in States and I had to leave after he left for work. The night before he told me a story about his dad putting frosted flakes and chocolate sauce on his ice cream when he was young and it was such a fun treat. After he left for work I went out and bought him a jug of vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and frosted flakes. I left him a love note on the counter “look in the freezer”… Then in the freezer with the ice cream “look in the fridge” then in the fridge with the chocolate sauce “look in the cupboard” where a last note thanking him for the great visit and saying how important he was. He loved that I remembered and that I made an effort to be silly and leave my mark for him to find, especially since saying goodbye can be so hard on both of us.
– There are many creative ways to show you care examples for us are: he will send surprise flowers, video me first thing in the morning and plan surprise trips for when he gets home.
– when you asked me to make you a poem and didn’t know I was home already so picked you up from work and said “there once was a girl named ******** who’s boyfriend was home and she didn’t know it”
– its been a while but sending “care” packages of funny things.
– painting a personalized welcome poster for an awesome friend to greet her at the airport
#5 What is your fondest memory of your long distance relationship?
– my fondest memory of my three-year multi-country relationship is when my partner surprised me on my birthday. He was working in Halifax and apologized for not being about to make it. We were texting all day and he was asking about my day. I was going to my favourite deli than meeting a girlfriend for pedis. When I walked into the deli my mom was there… Which was strange but when I turned the corner I saw him standing there. It was such a beautiful moment; I was so surprised and so happy that he would think to do that… And get my mom in cahoots with him! It makes me smile just to remember.
– We have “fond moments” by sending each other videos of what we are doing that day.. We talk the first thing in the morning and until we fall asleep and we work together via phone scheduling our whole lives together. Obviously it would be fantastic to be together every day but this does work for us
– Seeing a man you were so infatuated with after 2 years and never skipping a beat. Letters, phone calls, flowers, pictures! Just the look face to face was amazing to see the person who lived on the other side of the world.
– the fondest memory….nothing really specific. One awesome thing is that you can go weeks without talking and years without seeing each other but when you finally get to talk its like there is no distance at all between you. You could be right beside each other not 3576 km away. You pick up right where you left off last time – no awkwardness. and still the connection – you can feel when something is up even if you haven’t talked. also day drinking together is awesome.
– never give up, nothing is forever and if it’s real it will withstand the distance and time!
I loved this blog post, super cool to see into other’s relationships no?
Post a comment below!