Everyone has felt depressed or anxious at one point or another in their life. For some, it may be something they constantly struggle with. The World Health Organization rates depression as the leading cause of disease burden to countries with a high income.
Most people turn instantly to prescription drugs to “fix” the problem. Having learned firsthand all about this system I can tell you that a) they are addictive b) your body will build up a tolerance – just like anything else, and eventually they will stop having the same effect. Where does that leave you? In the exact same situation, or even worse. While I believe that working through depression and/or anxiety is not an overnight solution and cannot solely be healed with food alone. I do believe that what you are eating is certainly affecting your mood and eating a healthy diet is the easiest and quickest thing you can do to feel some relief.
I have put together a list of 10 simple foods to include in your diet right now that are proven to easy stress, promote well being and calmness, and nourish your brain.
1. Omega-3 Fatty Acids: brain foods. Oily fish such as salmon, herring, sardines, mackerel, and trout. Also flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, seaweed, mustard oil, beans, winter squash, leafy greens, and cabbage family.
2. Avocados: rich in glutathione, which blocks absorption of some fats in the intestines, that cause oxidative damage. They also contain lots of B vitamins, beta-carotene, vitamin E, and the most folate of any fruit.
2. Berries: high antioxidants, linked to sharper cognition and lower stress levels
3. Cabbage: contains vitamin C and folic acids, protects against stress, good source of blood sugar stabilizing fiber.
4. Garlic: neutralizes free radicals, and can even reduce damage caused by free radicals, make sure you sauté in broth and not oil
5. Green Tea: contains an amino acid called thiamine protects against some types of cancer, it also enhances mental performance
6. Spinach: has comforting effect, lots of magnesium, which helps to regulate cortisol (stress hormone) and promote feels of wellbeing
7. Oysters: the mother load of zinc. Zinc plays an important role in the brain and body by modulating stress
8. Gaba – is an amino acid that works in the brain like a main down switch, slows the brain down, out of the anxious state, find this in kefir, kimchi, and oolong tea
9. Oatmeal: a complex carbohydrate causes your brain to produce serotonin, which has antioxidant properties, soothing feeling, and helps to overcome stress.
10. Chamomile Tea: promotes sleep, relaxes mind and body, soothing, more evidence than ever that chamomile calms
Processed/ packaged foods, preservatives, GMO’s, additives, nitrates, fast food, antibiotics, hormones, sulfites, and junk food is a recipe for depression and anxiety. Stick to whole foods and this list to start naturally healing now. It’s your life, fuel yourself with real food.
If you are healing from depression and/or anxiety having the support of a health coach will drastically improve your results. Schedule a completely free health consultation with me today. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will set it up.